Saturday 9 February 2013

Patron's competition

Another session squelching about in the mud. As you can see from the photo below the hedge was rather nice being a maiden of about fifteen to twenty years old although some sections looked younger than others. mostly hawthorn with some field maple that had not grown well. Although the hedge was between two fence rows there was more than sufficient room to work.
The weather was grim, dull, misty and with fine rain for most of the morning.The main problem however was the mud and as you can see the field was churned up before we started and by the end of the day it was a quagmire.
My cant being a bit lighter than my neighbour's on the left, I had got it down in good time with minimum use of the chainsaw. The weather by now had got worse with the mist closing in and I was keen to finish off and get a hot drink.
The end result looked pretty good. It being an open competition I had no illusions of being up for a prize - especially with Mr Tunks laying SoE - but I think I came mid way down the order and was happy with that. I did hear the judge saying that he deducted marks for pleachers being split down to the ground and must chat to my mentors about that.
The day was rounded off nicely with some tasty soup and sausage baps and the usual speeches etc. Do watch out for the Countryfile programme to be shown in March.


No comments:

Post a Comment